Friday, September 20, 2013

The first three weeks...

*So, this is a very condensed version of what has gone on the first three weeks- and only what I can remember!*

The Tuesday we were home we had to go to the doctor to check his weight, and just an overall check. Well, she did not like his jaundice look and all his levels (they were flirting the high line at the hospital) so we ended up at Newton getting blood work. IT WAS NOT FUN! He was tiny, irritable and had to get his foot pricked again! So, they thought he would have to do lights but the bili levels were ok so all was well with that. Then, a day or so later he started almost making this animal sound like honking when he cried or got upset. It was so weird and freaked us out. I have never heard this before. So, like freaked out parents we called the dr- she said it was more than likely congestion and we needed to do saline nasal drops in each nostril before each feeding. For us, I guess it moisturizes but for babies, some reason it makes them sneeze- almost instantly. So they sneeze out the boogers/ goo. It worked pretty good and we are still having to do it- he sounds horrible at times. A few days later after that, I guess is really when he started having horrible gas issues. I know every baby has gas issues but there is a point I guess that it becomes excessive. That is where we were at... Let me back and fill in the feeding part...

This may be TMI so don't read this part if you don't want to know the feeding/ booby part. I will begin by mentioning last time with logan, I tried to breastfeed, but it was extremely painful. I know now that it is not the type of pain they say you will get used to if you just keep doing it. Also, logan was horrible at latching- they said it could be because he was gestationally early or just how he was. Either way- it did not work out with him. I tried pumping and basically had no supply and stopped pumping and such at probably 1/2 to1 week. Now, as soon as Liam came out, he was ready. he had an awesome latch- perfect. I tried and it was great- at first. By the end of the first day at the hospital with a perfect latch, my boobs were bloody and bruised. I began getting very frustrated at that point. I wanted it to work SO bad this time. The bad part about the nursing aspect is they don't send around the lactation specialist until the second day- which is fine and dandy- they really couldn't do anything but I wanted to make sure we were doing every thing possible right so that it would work. So, by end of day one, going in to day two, it was very apparent that it was not going to work- plus knowing what all went on with Logan, I just knew. I then began to have a breakdown.. I felt completely incompetent and like I could not provide for my child. I just wanted to do it - especially since I would be able to this time since I will be staying home- and just wanted it to work. We decided that I could try pumping and feeding him that- it is the same thing just an extra (annoying) step. So that is what I did. William  would feed Liam while I pumped so that it would cut some time and we could both get back to sleep. Well, that was all fine and dandy until two things 1) I looked forward a few days and William was going back to work and the realization hit that I would be doing everything now (feeding, then pumping, Logan, etc.) which I had been doing while he was working his other jobs but it would be different for the 24hr fire shift- especially at night. and 2) my migraines were coming back full- force and they will not let you take any meds if you are breastfeeding. Between the fact that with pumping you are basically pumping and feeding 24/7 and you can't really go anywhere because you have to be back to pump and needing to get back on my meds- it was just the best decision (plus I was making a good amount of milk, but still having to give formula too because it was just not enough to keep up with what he was needing). So that is where we are at- we were doing full formula since probably 2ish weeks...

So, we went to the doctor regarding the gas issue- really I just called them to ask if it was ok to switch to sensitive formula (I don't know why I called because we never asked with Logan, we just switched to what we thought) but I didn't know if sensitive would be the next best step, etc. so that is why I was asking. They were like well, he is gaining well and not throwing up 1/2 his food so we want to keep him on what he is on right now. I should have questioned it then, but I was at the doctor with both of them on my own, I was irritated and for whatever reason, I just did not think to question it. He is spitting up and such even like 30 min to an hour and a half after he eats but it is not that much - which is what I told them. So at that appointment they put him on zantac and said give it 3-4 days. So after day 4 I called them and said we need to change the formula- they were like oh no it takes a good 7-10 days to see the effects. I was like oh good glad you said 3-4. That brings us to today- day 10 which is why we are going to the dr. First, I really don't understand why they put him on zantac, which I shall be of a semi-sane mind to ask today. Second, we are switching formula whether they say ok or not. You can feel the gas in his stomach if you put your hand on him, he is passing a ton of gas, now he is constipated, passing 1 pellet at a time and will wimper and scream then pass a lot of gas so you know that is what is making him hurt. So we will see what they say. Also at the first gas appointment, they started us on eye drops for his goopy eyes (clogged tear ducts). We are out of drops now and they have gotten some better but still goopy- they did a culture last time to make sure they are not infected and it came back negative so that is good! We are just praying for some good results and answers. It is very frustrating, upsetting and tiring to be up with a screaming, fussing baby 24/7 with 30 minute breaks every now and then when he falls asleep. Hopefully this will get better soon because we hate seeing him in pain and not being able to do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment